Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

To grow or not to grow... That is the question.

OK I will admit it.  I just started Mary's Country Life blog recently.  Why did I start it recently you ask?  Well, After 4 years of "grudgingly" living in the country and "dealing with" the day to day grind of pulling weeds and mowing grass and trying to make things live in my icky rocky clayey (is that a word?) soil, I have decided to embrace country life. 
My first real endeavor into the life of a country girl came this week when I purchased my very first herb seeds.  I keep hearing about how easy it is to grow herbs, and I love love love to cook.  I thought I would share some of what I learned about herbs with you and hopefully you can help me out with any tips or tricks that you might have to grow super herbs!!!

Cool Herb Benefits
♥ Some herbs attract beneficial insects to the garden, reducing the need for insecticides.
♥ Most herbs can be grown from seed or by transplant and can be used fresh or dried.
♥ Herbs add variety, beauty and fragrance to your garden.

In some cute little terra cotta flowerpots that I found on clearance I planted:

    Cilantro

Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum) is an annual herb that grows in sun or partial shade from seed.  The entire plant can be eaten and is used in stews, sauces, meat dishes and soups.  The seeds, also known as coriander, are frequently used in Indian cooking.  I love love love Cilantro in Salsa.  Fresh garden salsa is one of my most favorite dishes of all time.  Do you have any good tips for growing cilantro?  I would love to know them.


     Chives         
         
Chives (Allium schoenoprasum) are a perennial herb that grows in sun or partial shade to a height of 12 inches.  The plant has a grassy appearance and lavender flowers that can be eaten. The leaves are also edible and are used to flavor soups, salads, butters and dips.  They are a member of the onion family.  My favorite use for chives is a yummy sour cream and chive baked potato.  Anyone have a good chive recipe they would like to share?



      Parsley
Parsley is a member of the Umbelliferae family, which also includes celery, carrots,dill, cilantro, caraway, cumin, and the poisonous hemlock.  I love parsley in all kinds of italian dishes.  It adds a great flavor.  Do you have any dishes that you love parsley in?





So this is the start of my little herb garden.  I plan on expanding it and even building a raised bed to house some vegetables in later on in the spring.  Hopefully, this garden thing will work out OK.  Cross your fingers (better cross those toes too, I do NOT have a green thumb)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment